New ATO Client-to-Agent Linking Process
The ATO is introducing measures to ensure that only authorised agents are able to access client information and act on your behalf. From 13 November 2023, the client-to-agent linking process will apply to all types of businesses with an ABN, excluding sole traders.
Please note: This process will not apply to clients and entities that are already linked with Aintree Group via the Online services for business portal. Your Aintree Group advisor will be in touch if you need to take any action.
Businesses and organisations will need to use the new agent nomination feature in the Online services for business portal when:
- You engage a new tax agent, BAS agent, or payroll service provider to represent you;
- Provide extra authorisation to your existing authorised agent (for example when adding a new entity into your group structure, or giving authorisation to an Activity Statement Account, Integrated Client Account or Income Tax Account).
Your Aintree Group advisor will be in touch with you directly if we need you to provide authorisation for new entities or services provided. They may send this webpage to you for further information about this process.
If you have any further questions about the new Client-Agent Linking process after reading the steps below, please contact Chantelle Rose via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also recommend you download the PDF cheat sheet provided by the ATO, available below.
How to nominate Aintree Group as your Agent
If your Aintree Group advisor asks you to nominate Aintree Group as you agent through this new linking process, follow the steps below to set up the link through the ATO’s online services for business.
1. Set up myGovID (if you haven’t already) and link to your ABN:
If you’re not yet set up to use ATO online services, you’ll need to complete the following steps. If you are already set up to use ATO’s online services, skip to the next section.
- Set up your myGovID, if you haven’t already.
- Click here for instructions on how to set up a myGovID.
- Link your myGovID to your ABN.
- Click here for instructions on how to link myGov to the ATO.
- Important Note: A Principal Authority is the only one who can make the initial link of an ABN to a myGovID. You need to be listed as an Associate against the relevant entity on the Australian Business Register. Contact your Aintree Group advisor if you have questions about this.
- Authorise others to act on your behalf in your Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM).
- Click here for instructions on how to use the RAM.
Once you have completed the steps above, you can nominate Aintree Group as your advisor following the instructions below.
If you are unable to get a myGovID (e.g. because you are a non-Australian resident), you will need to speak with an ATO customer service representative on 13 28 66.
2. Nominate Aintree Group as your advisor:
Once you are set up on the ATO’s Online services for business portal, the agent nomination process only involves 3 steps:
- Log in to Online services for business.
- Go to Profile > Agent Details > Agent Nominations > Add
- Search for Aintree Group and nominate us as your adviser using the following details:
- Tax Agent Number: 25919644
- Business Name: Aintree Group Pty Ltd
- Allow access to all of your accounts (ITA, ASA, SGA, FBT and Payroll).
- Complete the declaration and submit.
- Email Chantelle Rose at email@example.com once you have completed the nomination to notify us that it’s complete.